Former public works deputy minister refutes Nkandla probe

By Drum Digital
22 December 2013

Former public works deputy minister Hendrietta Bogopane-Zulu has disputed the government's interministerial report on President Jacob Zuma's Nkandla homestead.

Former public works deputy minister Hendrietta Bogopane-Zulu has disputed the government's interministerial report on President Jacob Zuma's Nkandla homestead, the Sunday Times reported.

The report, which was released earlier this week, recommended that she and former Public Works Minister Geoff Doidge be investigated.

The pair served in those positions when the Nkandla upgrade began in 2009.

Bogopane-Zulu told the newspaper she was "annoyed and irritated" for being implicated in some form of wrongdoing regarding the R206-million security upgrade to Zuma's home.

"I have not seen the report at all," she was quoted as saying.

"I was never interviewed or asked anything and for me... logic says when you do an investigation and people are mentioned in a report, you give them an opportunity [to respond].

"None of the ministers spoke to me... so the authority to put my name [in the report] --I don't know what informed that," she told the newspaper.

She and Doidge welcomed the investigation.

"I'm told that the report is recommending that I be investigated by the Special Investigating Unit and the Auditor-General, so let them investigate and report," Doidge told the paper. The interministerial report cleared Zuma following allegations that tax payers money had been used to build his home. Government was only responsible for the security upgrade.

A separate report, compiled by Public Protector Thuli Madonsela, was to be released soon.

Madonsela had interviewed both Bogopane-Zulu and Doidge in her investigations. - Sapa

Find Love!

Men
Women