Govt team withdraws from talks

By Drum Digital
09 June 2014

The government's task team has withdrawn from the platinum strike talks.

The government's task team has withdrawn from the platinum strike talks, the companies said on Monday evening.

"Platinum producers note that the talks facilitated by the minister of mineral resources have unfortunately been dissolved without an outcome," they said in a joint statement.

The team was set up by Minerals and Resources Minister Ngoako Ramatlhodi last week in a bid to end the four-month-long strike.

"The companies thank the minister, advocate Ramatlhodi, and deputy minister, Godfrey Oliphant, and members of the inter-governmental task team for their initiatives and efforts."

Members of the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union downed tools on January 23 demanding a basic monthly salary of R12,500.

They have so far rejected the companies' offer that would bring their cash remuneration to R12,500 by July 2017.

On Saturday, Ramatlhodi said he would pull out of the talks if no agreement was reached by Monday.

Anglo American Platinum Limited, Impala Platinum Holdings Limited, and Lonmin said they would look at other options.

"While the producers remain committed to a negotiated settlement, they will now review further options available to them."

So far, the industry has lost R21.7 billion in earnings, while employees have forfeited wages of around R9.6bn.

SAPA

Find Love!

Men
Women