Hundreds of Zim repatriates on way to Beitbridge

By Drum Digital
20 April 2015

A first contingent of more than 400 Zimbabweans fleeing xenophobic violence in Durban is expected to reach the Beitbridge border post on Monday, the official Herald newspaper reported.

Buses carrying 407 Zimbabweans - described as "enthusiastic to go home" - only left Durban late on Sunday, the report said.

Ninety-two of the repatriates are children. The Herald said 112 are women and 203 are men. They had been staying in a camp in Chatsworth.

Earlier reports said 700 Zimbabweans were to leave Durban for home on Sunday, but it appears the first contingent was split.

Zimbabwe's ambassador to South Africa, Isaac Moyo, said another 400 Zimbabweans were on Monday waiting to leave Durban from the Phoenix Holding Centre.

Moyo told the paper: "These will be repatriated to Zimbabwe by the end of today or on Tuesday morning. We have since addressed them and told them what we expect from them so that we can assist them."

All returning migrants are going through "basic" checks to confirm that they are Zimbabwean.

Source: News24wire.com

Find Love!

Men
Women