'Jub Jub' murder trial resumes

By Drum Digital
22 May 2012

The murder trial of musician Molemo "Jub Jub" Maarohanye and co-accused Themba Tshabalala will resume on Tuesday morning, when they pair visit the scene of the accident that led to the charges against them.

National Prosecuting Authority spokesman Mthunzi Mhaga said an inspection of a crime scene usually happened when the court sought clarity on an issue that might be in dispute during a trial.

"If there is a dispute to what happened at the scene of the crime, the court will go and inspect the scene... Witnesses might also be questioned if needs be," Mhaga said.

On Monday, the court granted Maarohanye an application to call a video expert to testify, despite the State asking for the case against the musician to be closed.

"Everyone deserves a fair trial, therefore, the expert will testify on May 30, 2012," Magistrate Brian Nemavhidi said.

Ike Motloung, for Maarohanye, earlier told the court: "The evidence I intend to lead should confirm or dispute that the recording is genuine and has not been tampered with."

The case against Tshabalala was closed earlier in the day after his defence finished leading evidence and had no more witnesses to call.

Motloung said he had since discovered he would need a video expert even though the video was recorded on a cellphone. He said he would meet with the expert and the expert would do tests. A full report of the findings would be made available to the State before May 30.

Maarohanye and Tshabalala face charges of murder, attempted murder, and driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs.

They were allegedly racing their Mini Coopers when they crashed into a group of schoolchildren along Mdlalose Street, in Protea North, on March 8, 2010. Four boys were killed and two others were seriously injured.

Find Love!

Men
Women