Libyan shipwreck tragedy

By Drum Digital
20 April 2015

Reuters is reporting that the death toll from Sunday's shipwreck off the coast of Libya was uncertain after officials said there had been at least 700 people on board, some reportedly locked in by crew.

European Union foreign ministers gathered in Luxembourg on Monday under pressure to produce more than words as bodies were brought ashore in Malta,  hundreds more are feared drowned in the latest Mediterranean migrant tragedy.

The shipwreck also appears to be the deadliest ever involving migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean to Europe.

A Bangladeshi survivor told police there had been 950 passengers onboard, according to Italian media. The vessel sank when passengers rushed to one side to attract attention from a passing merchant ship.

Source: Reuters

Pictures courtesy of abc.net.au

Find Love!

Men
Women