Long cellphone chats can lead to allergies

By Drum Digital
07 November 2013

Speaking endlessly on your cellphone can lead to an allergic reaction.

Do you find yourself speaking on a cellphone for longer and usual?

Speaking endlessly on your cellphone can lead to an allergic reaction, warns a leading pharmaceutical company, specialising in allergy treatments.

Mariska Fouche, spokesperson for Pharma Dynamics says cellphones are to blame for the itchy, red bumps and blisters along their jaws, cheeks and ears.

“While it is often referred to as a cellphone allergy, it is actually a nickel allergy,” remarks Fouche. “If you consider that the average cellphone user makes or receives an average of 22 phone calls a day and checks their phone every six and a half minutes, the prolonged exposure to nickel – a metal which is often used in cellphone buttons, headsets and LCD screen frames – can be the likely cause of the allergy.

Nickel is one of the most common contact allergens.

For frequent cellphone users suffering from a nickel allergy, here are suggestions:

  • Use a wireless ear piece
  • Put your phone on speaker
  • Put a phone cover and clear film screen on the device

Switching to a phone that doesn’t contain metal on surfaces that are likely to make contact with your skin, such as an iPhone or Android phones

Find Love!

Men
Women