Marikana application dismissed

By Drum Digital
15 June 2015

An application to order President Jacob Zuma to immediately release the Marikana report has been dismissed.

An application to order President Jacob Zuma to immediately release the Marikana report has been dismissed.

"I will adjourn for five minutes to make my written judgment available," said Judge Neil Tuchten ruled in the High Court in Pretoria on Monday.

Earlier this month, the court heard submissions by advocate Dali Mpofu on behalf of applicants Mzoxolo Magidwana, who was shot, and the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (Amcu), who wanted the report released now and did not want to wait until June 30 - the cut-off date given by Zuma.

Zuma's counsel, advocate Hilton Epstein, submitted the president needed until June 30 to ''get to grips'' with the report because it was serious, and he would have to answer questions about it.

But Mpofu, on behalf of Magidwana and Amcu, said if retired Judge Ian Farlam, who chaired the commission of inquiry, could keep to his November 2014 undertaking to give the president the report on March 31 this year, there was no explanation as to why the president was not releasing the report.

On August 12, 2012, 34 miners were killed. An inquiry set up by Zuma and chaired by Judge Farlam also investigated the deaths of 10 people, including two security guards and two police officers, in the preceding week.

The report is said to name prominent government leaders, including Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa and national police commissioner Riah Phiyega.

Source: News24

Find Love!

Men
Women