Marikana commission continues

By Drum Digital
14 August 2013

The Farlam Commission of Inquiry into the Marikana shootings is expected to resume on Wednesday.

This follows the commission being postponed on Friday.

"A decision in respect of possible funding for the legal team representing the injured and the arrested miners has not been finally determined," it said in a statement.

"This decision is now expected within the next few days."

The commission is investigating the deaths of 44 people during strike-related unrest in Marikana last year. Police shot dead 34 striking mineworkers on August 16. Ten people, including two police officers, were killed in the preceding week.

Dali Mpofu, representing the mineworkers wounded and arrested at Marikana, wanted the funding for his legal team.

He previously signalled his intention to file papers with the Constitutional Court for a ruling on whether the state should fund their work at the commission.

He made a similar request in the High Court in Pretoria earlier this month, but it was dismissed.

Commission chair, retired judge Ian Farlam, said it was regrettable the sitting of commission was again postponed, but that it was, however, desirable that efforts continued to ensure the process was as inclusive as possible.

-Sapa

Find Love!

Men
Women