Marikana hearing continues

By Drum Digital
01 September 2014

The Farlam Commission of Inquiry probing the Marikana shooting continues public hearing in Pretoria on Monday.

The commission is investigating the death of 44 people during a violent wage strike at Lonmin mines in Marikana in August 2012.

Thirty-four mineworkers were killed when police opened fire on them on August, 16, 2012. Ten including two policemen and two Lonmin security guards were killed in the preceding week.

Last week a leader during the told the commission that he knew nothing about workers being threatened.

Xolani Nzuza, allegedly one of the strike's leaders, told the commission that on the week the strike started, stones were thrown at him as he walked to work for his night shift.

He returned home and joined the strike the next day. He however said he did not view that as a threat.

"Yes, I was not threatened. If a person threatens you, they come straight to you," said Nzuza, explaining that the people who threw stones at him could have simply been crooks.

Nzuza was under cross-examination by Ishmael Semenya SC, for the SA Police Service.

Semenya abandoned his cross-examination of Nzuza, after refused to answer many of his questions at the commission.

Source : Sapa

Find Love!

Men
Women