Mdunge sentencing postponed

By Drum Digital
17 April 2015

Durban - Former KwaZulu-Natal police spokesperson Vincent Mdunge will be sentenced on May 18.

Mdunge, 49, appeared briefly at the Durban Regional Court on Friday where his case was postponed.

In November, Magistrate Thandeka Fikeni reportedly ruled that the matric certificate he presented when joining the service in 1987 was not valid.

Fikeni previously acquitted him of one count of fraud, saying it had not been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Mdunge misrepresented himself when he joined the police as a special constable.

He was also reportedly found guilty of fraud for submitting his forged matric certificate to the University of SA to obtain admission to a National Diploma in Police Administration course.

In the aggravation of sentence senior public prosecutor Barend Groen said Mdunge committed fraud. “What he did was well planned and happened over a long period of years. He was not entitled to the money he earned over the years,” said Groen.

The State said Mdunge should not have been promoted beyond the rank of a warrant officer. It also said that Mdunge earned more than he should have over the years.

The State called Colonel Nico Kleynhans, who is employed the SAPS’s department of finance in Pretoria, to prove that Mdunge had been paid more that he should have over the years. Kleynhans confirmed that Mdunge was employed from 1988 until 2013.

“Had he remained a warrant officer he would have earned R874 901,31,” said Kleynhans.

In the mitigation of sentence Advocate Saleem Khan said the amount presented by the witness should be significantly decreased.

“When you consider that he paid tax and earned a 13th cheque the amount should be significantly decreased. He worked for the money he earned over the years and rendered services to the SAPS when he was promoted to those positions,” said Khan.

He said the court should consider that Mdunge was a first time offender.

“He was an asset to the SAPS, he was even appointed as the spokesperson for the service. He also rendered services for 27 years in an exemplary manner. He is a 49-year-old father of five with a wife that he needs to take care of,” said Khan.

The State, said Khan, has withheld his pension of R4.2 million.

At the end of the day the accused never plotted or deprived the employer. If he is sent to prison, it would be an injustice,” said Khan.

The matter was postponed to May 18.

-Source: News24

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Mdunge-sentencing-postponed-20150417-2

Find Love!

Men
Women