'Modimolle Monster' trial to resume

By Drum Digital
15 April 2013

The trial of alleged "Modimolle monster" Johan Kotze is scheduled to resume in the High Court in Pretoria on Monday.

The trial was postponed in February so he could undergo further psychological tests.

At the time, acting Judge Bert Bam said that when the trial resumed, it would run its course until its conclusion.

Bam said various factors had contributed to the postponement, including the involvement of Kotze's advocate Bernard Bantjes in the Boeremag treason trial.

He ordered that Kotze be transferred to a prison near Bloemfontein to undergo further psychiatric evaluation.

Bantjes told the court last year that Kotze had questioned a report by three psychiatrists at the Weskoppies psychiatric hospital, who found him fit to stand trial.

He said the issue of Kotze's accountability would be placed in dispute on both a pathological and non-pathological basis, but that he understood the court proceedings.

Kotze, Andries Sithole, Pieta Mohlane, and Frans Mphaka are accused of murdering Kotze's 19-year-old stepson Conrad Bonnette at Kotze's house in Modimolle on January 3.

They are also accused of kidnapping, assaulting, repeatedly raping, and attempting to murder Kotze's former wife Ina Bonnette earlier that day.

A plea of not guilty was noted on behalf of Kotze after he refused to enter a plea, and claimed his accountability and ability to follow and contribute to court proceedings was in question.

His three co-accused all pleaded not guilty to the charges.

They claimed Kotze forced them to take part in the attack on Bonnette and claimed they had only pretended to rape her.

Bonnette testified that Kotze tortured her with various objects before instructing the other three to rape her.

She listened to her son pleading for his life before Kotze allegedly shot him in the head and heart.

-SAPA

Find Love!

Men
Women