Modise condemns illegal initiation schools

By Drum Digital
23 December 2013

North West Premier Thandi Modise has called for a clamp down on illegal initiation schools following the death of two initiates.

North West Premier Thandi Modise on Sunday called for a clamp down on illegal initiation schools following the death of two initiates.

According to police, a 16-year-old started vomiting after drinking water at the school on Friday.

He then collapsed and died, said Colonel Emelda Setlhako.

On Saturday, another initiate, 17, at the same school in Makwaneng, Amalia, complained of stomach cramps after eating a meal.

He also died.

The other initiates who were attending the school were taken to hospital.

Modise's spokesman Lesiba Kgwele said while it was unclear whether the school was run illegally, certain factors suggested that it was.

"Accredited initiation schools have inspections which are done with the department of health so there would no be danger of in the water and food of initiates," said Kgwele.

Modise called for action against those who ran initiation schools illegally

"Chancers and those who commit atrocities at initiation schools undermine

our tradition and culture and should be brought to book," she said in a statement.

" We call on traditional leaders as custodians of our tradition and culture to monitor initiation schools within their areas of jurisdiction and report ill-treatment and illegal operations to authorities."

Setlhako said police were investigating the deaths.

No arrests had been made.

Find Love!

Men
Women