N3 south re-opens after Van Reenen's crash

By Drum Digital
31 October 2014

The N3 south-bound was re-opened to traffic on Friday afternoon after two accidents closed Van Reenen's Pass for almost eight hours, the N3 Toll Concession said.

"South-bound only is open -- that's in the direction of traffic from Johannesburg to Durban," spokeswoman Andy Visser said.

The north-bound highway remained closed to traffic from Tugela toll plaza to Montrose.

ER24 spokesman Russel Meiring said earlier that four people were killed and 14 others were injured in two accidents on Van Reenen's Pass.

"When ER24 paramedics arrived at the first incident, they found that a truck had jack-knifed across the road, colliding with a number of other vehicles."

Seven people from a number of vehicles had various injuries, ranging from minor to moderate.

As paramedics took them to hospital, they came across a second accident.

"A large truck had apparently lost control and collided with several other vehicles."

Four people were declared dead on the scene.

"Seven other patients from various vehicles had sustained injuries ranging from minor to moderate," Meiring said.

Free State police spokesman Sergeant Mmako Mophiring said it was believed reduced visibility, due to morning mist, could have caused the accidents.

-SAPA

Find Love!

Men
Women