New rules for kids travelling abroad postponed again

16 September 2014

New regulations that affect families travelling with kids will again be delayed, this time until June 1, 2015.

New regulations that affect families travelling with kids will again be delayed, this time until June 1, 2015, Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba announced on Tuesday.

This refers to the requirements that children be in possession of an unabridged birth certificate and have written permission from both parents or guardians authorising the child's travel.

"We have granted the postponement of these two particular requirements -- the unabridged birth certificate and written permission, to June 1, 2015," Gigaba told reporters at Parliament.

The regulations had been due to take effect on July 1 but sparked widespread complaint, with parents protesting that it could take up to a year to obtain an unabridged birth certificate from the department.

The department then granted a three-month reprieve and set October 1 as the new implementation date.

In March 2013, it began issuing unabridged certificates on the spot for all children at birth registration.

Gigaba insisted that South Africa had no intention of changing the new travel regulations, and said it would likewise stick to plans to do away with the late registration of births from the end of the year.

"Most elements of the new regulation are working well," he said.

"This is despite some asymmetries of information which have further compounded anxiety and inertia with regard to particular aspects of the new regulations."

Source : Sapa

Find Love!

Men
Women