No new looting reports in Gauteng

By Drum Digital
27 January 2015

No looting of foreign-run shops was reported across Gauteng overnight, police said on Tuesday.

"There were no reported incidents of looting overnight," national police spokesman Lt-General Solomon Makgale said.

On Monday, Makgale said 178 people had been arrested in the violence, labelled by some as xenophobic, sparked by the shooting of 14-year-old Siphiwe Mahori last week.

The boy had allegedly been part of a group who set upon a shop kept by Somali national Alodixashi Sheik Yusuf on Monday. He was shot dead when Yusuf allegedly shot at the group.

Yusuf's murder case was postponed to February 4 so Yusuf's status in the country could be established.

The shooting sparked a wave of looting of foreign-owned shops, which spread from Soweto to Kagiso on the West Rand and Sebokeng in the Vaal, causing several deaths, including a baby who was trampled by a group of people running.

By Monday evening, it had spread to Eden Park, Ekurhuleni. A spaza shop was also torched in Alexandra, north of Johannesburg, Makgale said on Monday.

Source : Sapa

Find Love!

Men
Women