Over 1 000 Zimbabweans to leave SA on Sunday - report

By Drum Digital
17 April 2015

Over 1 000 Zimbabweans will return home from South Africa on Sunday in the wake of xenophobic attacks, according to reports.

The announcement came as President Robert Mugabe’s party denounced what it called the “xeno wars” in its southern neighbour.

“Identification and the processing of repatriation documents [for Zimbabwean nationals] has already begun,” Isaac Moyo, Zimbabwe’s ambassador to South Africa, told the state-run Chronicle newspaper.

He said documents for more than 1 000 Zimbabweans in Durban had been arranged.

South Africa’s department of home affairs will transport the Zimbabweans to Beitbridge, where they will be handed over to officials from Zimbabwe’s Civil Protection Unit and the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), the paper said.

“We are seized with the issue of documenting people and providing them with food and shelter,” the ambassador added. He said embassy officials would on Friday verify the number of Zimbabweans killed. Unconfirmed reports say a Zimbabwean woman and a toddler have died in the Durban attacks.

Meanwhile the ruling Zanu-PF party condemned the xenophobic attacks in South Africa as “shocking”, and the “antithesis” of what Mugabe had pushed for in his state visit to South Africa earlier this month.

“Our President, Comrade RG Mugabe recently concluded a successful state visit to South Africa where a number of important agreements to advance our economies were signed. "None was signed to promote xenophobia,” party spokesperson Simon Khaya Moyo, himself a former ambassador to South Africa, said in a statement. “Zanu-PF and the ANC of South Africa as well as the two governments enjoy fraternal relations and the xeno wars currently underway in South Africa are shocking,” he added. Source: News24wire.com

Find Love!

Men
Women