Post Office strike ends

By Drum Digital
06 June 2012

A three-month strike by SA Post Office (Sapo) employees has ended, the parastatal said on Wednesday

Mail business head Janras Kotsi said he was pleased by the "amicable resolution" of the strike following an agreement on Tuesday night.

"This follows the acceptance of the proposed interim solution by Sapo with regard to the demands by the striking casual workers," he said in a statement.

"I have to pass a word of gratitude to all relevant parties who played a constructive role in the resolution of the strike."

He said the strike had resulted in mail carry-overs in certain areas in Gauteng, and that it would be cleared within a few days.

"[Customer] satisfaction is a key strategic imperative for the group; similarly, the board and the executive team have worked single-mindedly to ensure the restoration of the services to our customers," he said.

"I want to express our sincerest apology for the loss of service and the resultant inconvenience to our many customers. We are making various strides to prevent this from recurring in future."

A post office van was pelted with stones in Braamfontein by striking workers on May 16, and there was a report that a post office building had been set alight in Soweto.

The Communication Workers Union had demanded that Sapo employed, on a permanent basis, workers sourced from labour brokers. Many of them had apparently worked at Sapo for many years without getting due recognition and benefits.

Find Love!

Men
Women