Putco bus failed roadworthy test

By Drum Digital
04 April 2013

An inquiry into the crash which killed 20 people in Meyerton last year found that the bus involved had failed a roadworthy test two days before, it was reported on Thursday.

Gauteng transport MEC Ismail Vadi confirmed this in a letter to the Democratic Alliance, The Star reported.

"The inquiry revealed that the bus was unroadworthy as it failed the roadworthy test in the Meyerton Testing Centre two days prior to the accident," Vadi said.

"Putco denies that the bus was unroadworthy and that the driver was negligent as he was distracted by the passengers."

Vadi said the bus company had only taken responsibility for the victims' funeral arrangements.

Putco said it was not aware of the outcome of the inquiry.

"It is a surprise that we were found guilty without being informed," Putco spokesman Romeo More told the newspaper.

Twenty people, including the bus driver, died and 55 other passengers were injured in the accident on June 25 last year.

The driver lost control of the vehicle on the R59 and crashed through a bridge railing before plunging ten metres to the ground. It landed on its side.

-by Sapa

Find Love!

Men
Women