R50 million missing from world cup funds

By Drum Digital
26 March 2013

Around R50 million meant for 2010 World Cup legacy projects in the Eastern Cape has gone missing, The Times reported on Tuesday.

Parliament's sport portfolio committee was investigating the matter. Committee chairman Richard Mdakane said the discovery of the missing funds was made in June last year.

"There was a problem about the legacy project when we visited Buffalo City and an allegation was made there is R50 million that is unaccounted for," Mdakane was quoted as saying.

The Buffalo City municipality includes East London, Bhisho and King William's Town.

"We requested the department of sport in the Eastern Cape to deal with the matter [but it has] not really come back to us."

Mdakane said they were consulting with the portfolio committee on safety and security and sport director general Alec Meomi on the matter.

The municipality's spokesman Keith Ngesi denied there was any money missing.

He told The Times that around R21 million had gone into upgrading the Buffalo City Stadium and that there had been delays in other projects.

"The metro is aware of the work that has not been done and responsible units are putting together a report, including paid invoices with a portfolio of evidence of work done," he said.

-by Sapa

Find Love!

Men
Women