Read why Mozambican taxi driver Mido Macia case is postponed to 2015

By Drum Digital
15 October 2014

Mozambican taxi driver Mido Macia case is postponed to 2015

The trial of nine Daveyton policemen implicated in the murder of Mozambican taxi driver Mido Macia was postponed on Wednesday to July next year. The trial was to have started at the Delmas Magistrate's Court on Monday.

"On Monday, the State brought an application to the High Court in Pretoria to get a vital missing link in the case," said prosecutor Charles Mnisi.

He had recently taken over the matter from Hitler Thenga.

Mnisi said he submitted an oral submission to the court on Monday but was advised to present written submissions. He did so on Wednesday.

"The court found that the State had made a sustainable case," said Mnisi.

"This information will shape the case," he said.

The court postponed the case to July 27, 2015.

"The matter will go back to the Delmas court," said Mnisi.

The trial of Thamsanqa Ncema, Linda Sololo, Meshack Malele, Motome Walter Ramatlou, Percy Mnisi, Bongumusa Mdluli, Sipho Ngobeni, Lungisa Ewababa, and Bongani Kolisi has had numerous delays since Macia's death in February last year.

They were arrested after a video showing Macia being tied to the back of a police van and dragged through the streets of Daveyton went viral and caused public outrage.

Police alleged they had a confrontation with Macia when he refused to move his taxi, which was obstructing traffic.

Macia was found dead in the police holding cells several hours later. He was wearing his underwear and socks. His trousers were later found in another part of the police station.

A post mortem found that he died of a lack of oxygen.

Witnesses reported that he had wounds to the head.

The police have denied playing any part in Macia's death, and have claimed he was alive when he was put in the cell.

-SAPA

Find Love!

Men
Women