Reiger Park case goes to high court

By Drum Digital
05 January 2015

A man accused of killing Reiger Park toddler Cuburne van Wyk will stand trial in the high court, the Boksburg Magistrate's Court heard on Monday.

"The national director of public prosecution has made a decision that the accused will stand trial for kidnapping and murder," prosecutor Annie-Marie Smith said while handing the indictment to the court.

The case against Nathaniel Katlego Mpoku was transferred to the Johannesburg High Court, sitting at he Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court, for trial on April 22.

Mpoku indicated to the court that he would not call any witnesses and would be represented by a legal aid lawyer. He would conduct his trial in isiZulu.

Mpoku is accused of kidnapping and killing Van Wyk, three, in Reiger Park in August. His body was found at a mine dump after he went missing.

Van Wyk's family said they were happy that the matter had been moved to the high court.

"We are very happy the case is now going to Palm Ridge. God is on our side," said Leann Plaatjie, Van Wyk's aunt.

"We want to know why he killed our child. What was he thinking when he smashed his head with a rock and burnt him? What was he feeling? We want to know," she said.

-SAPA

Find Love!

Men
Women