SA Breweries strike enters day two

By Drum Digital
01 October 2013

A Food and Allied Workers Union (Fawu) strike at SA Breweries (SAB) entered its second day on Tuesday.

A Food and Allied Workers Union (Fawu) strike at SA Breweries (SAB) entered its second day on Tuesday. "As the strike enters its second day, SAB has contingency plans in place to minimise any disruption to its service and the company has implemented a security plan to protect its people and its assets," company spokeswoman Robyn Chalmers said in a statement. Fawu began an indefinite strike at SAB on Monday, demanding a nine percent wage increase across the board. SAB has offered seven percent, which would increase the average monthly pay for shift workers by R1196, to R18,283. Fawu general secretary Katishi Masemola said the employer's offer entailed a split of 60 percent increase across the board, with the remaining 40 percent as a non-guaranteed performance-based component.

"SAB is concerned that one of the main reasons behind the strike is Fawu's wish to undermine performance related pay," Chalmers said.

SAB human resources director Yokesh Maharaj said SAB paid higher than average bargaining unit salaries in the fast-moving consumer goods sector. As such, SAB believed a seven percent increase was highly competitive as it was above inflation and came off a high base. "SAB is one of the highest paying employers in South Africa across all sectors, and one of the highest in the brewing industry worldwide," Maharaj said. Chalmers said SAB would continue negotiations with Fawu through the proper channels as soon as possible, and that the company had a "strong and enduring relationship" with the union.

-by Sapa

Find Love!

Men
Women