Sars drops sequestration case against Malema

By Drum Digital
02 June 2015

Sars has dropped its sequestration case against EFF leader Julius Malema, hours after he appeared in the High Court in Pretoria on Monday.

Sars has dropped its sequestration case against EFF leader Julius Malema, hours after he appeared in the High Court in Pretoria on Monday.

Advocate Nic Maritz, for Sars, returned to court after the lunch break on Monday and said he had consulted with his clients and was advised that the sequestration would be withdrawn.

A crowd of supporters cheered loudly outside at the announcement.

Earlier on Monday, Judge Gregory Wright first dismissed the EFF's application to intervene in the matter, and then recalled his order.

He chose instead to strike the matter off the court roll with costs, saying the party had failed to explain why it was applying at such a late stage, when the matter had been going on for over two years.

EFF Lawyer Vuyani Ngalwana argued that if Malema was sequestrated it would have a political impact on the Economic Freedom Fighters in Parliament.

He said the application was lodged late because of internal discussions within the EFF.

Ngalwana argued that when the matter started in 2013 it was between Malema and Sars. Now that Malema was in Parliament it would affect the party.

If Malema was to be sequestrated, he would not have been able to hold a seat in Parliament

The Julius Sello Malema (JSM) Trust, which was set up to help the firebrand leader pay his tax debt, was also applying to intervene in the matter.

Advocate Dali Mpofu, for the trust, argued that its interests could be threatened.

Donations had been made to the trust and donors had paid donation tax.

News24

Find Love!

Men
Women