Search for the illegal miner continues

By Drum Digital
25 September 2012

The search continues for an illegal miner trapped in an old mine shaft at Durban Deep

The search for an illegal miner trapped in an old mine shaft at Durban Deep, in Roodepoort, continued on Tuesday, Johannesburg emergency services said.

"The search operation which resumed on Monday continued on Tuesday around 9am," said emergency services spokesman Robert Mulaudzi.

He said they searched until 11pm on Monday.

The illegal miner and four others entered the mine, near Dobsonville, through an unused shaft that had been cordoned off. He was trapped on Thursday. The others got to the surface.

"We actually had to come up with another way to move, so we will see how far we can go in terms of rescuing the illegal miner," he said on Monday.

Rescue workers covered a distance of three kilometres underground, but suspended the search on Friday, after 16-hours, because he area they were working in was getting smaller and more unsafe.

At the time, Mulaudzi said the area was dangerous because of falling rock.

Find Love!

Men
Women