Second chance for disgraced students

By Drum Digital
11 April 2013

Two KwaZulu-Natal medical students who were expelled from Cuba for demanding better meals and a 300 percent increase in spending money are expected to get a second chance, the Mercury newspaper reported on Thursday.

According to the report, one of the students will return to Cuba while national health minister Aron Motsoaledi would speak to the second student for a second time.

The newspaper quoted KwaZulu-Natal health MEC Sibongiseni Dhlomo as saying that Motsoaledi would speak to him to ensure that "he understands the expectations his nation has of him".

The students, whose stay in Cuba is funded by the South African government, had boycotted classes demanding that their monthly stipend of R1600 be tripled and that they wanted better meals. According to the report, they complained that they received pork every day.

Dhlomo told the newspaper that his office was arranging the return of the two KwaZulu-Natal men, who were among six students sent home last month after the Cuban government and the national health department terminated their studies.

Kgoputso Pege, chairwoman of the Junior Doctor's Association, told the Mercury the association supported the return to Cuba of the two men as "It was felt they should be forgiven because their behaviour was unintentional".

-by Sapa

Find Love!

Men
Women