Shivambu denies Mabe report

By Drum Digital
17 November 2013

EFF official Floyd Shivambu has denied reports on Sunday that former ANCYL treasurer general Pule Mabe shared with him money he allegedly stole from the poor.

He was reacting to a report in Sunday World alleging that of the R2 million allegedly fleeced from the SA Social Security Agency (Sassa), R30,000 was given to him.

The former ANC Youth League spokesman said his legal representatives would write to Sunday World to ask for the withdrawal of the story and for the publication of a front page apology. If the newspaper failed to do so, he would take the matter to court.

However, Sunday World editor Marvin Meintjies said the newspaper would stand by its story.

"We stand by our story, which is based on documents compiled by the investigators," he said.

"We are 100 percent convinced about the veracity of the documents."

He said allegations that Mabe was the paper's source were incorrect.

Mabe, who is a member of the ANC's national executive committee, Paseka Letsatsi, Sassa communications head and Kabedi Ramosa appeared in the Pretoria Specialised Commercial Crime Court on Friday on charges of theft, fraud, and money laundering.

They had handed themselves over to the Sunnyside police station earlier in the day.

They were released on bail of R10,000 each and were expected to appear in court again on February 13.

Shivambu said: "The police case against Pule Mabe does not mention my name as a beneficiary of the ‘stolen' millions, instead [it] mentioned a number of recipients, most of whom are his private companies, his friends and family members, and the ANC Youth League, which he paid R100,000.

"The police case does not in anyway suggest that I received R30,000 from Pule Mabe, including from the R100,000 of the ‘stolen' money he paid to the ANC Youth League account."

Shivambu said that if he did exchange any money with Mabe when he was treasurer general of the ANCYL, it was solely for organisational work.

Shivambu said he had retrieved bank statements online which confirmed he had not received R30,000 from Mabe.

"I believe that those who stole money should be held accountable

and should not resort to desperate attempts to implicate others.

"The only other source of this misleading information is Pule Mabe, because he said that he will try to drag the leadership of the Economic Freedom Fighters into his private problems so that he can get some sympathy from his political associates and try to divert attention," Shivambu said.

-SAPA

Find Love!

Men
Women