South Africa to review participation in ICC - Radebe

By Drum Digital
25 June 2015

'Cabinet has decided it will review South Africa’s participation in the International Criminal Court.'

Cabinet has decided it will review South Africa’s participation in the International Criminal Court, Minister in the Presidency Jeff Radebe said on Thursday, News24 reported.

He was speaking at a post-Cabinet briefing at Parliament.

His comments follow the violation of a court order to prevent Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir from leaving the country, allowing him to evade arrest for alleged crimes against humanity.

The ICC had issued warrants of arrest for Al-Bashir - one in 2009 and another in 2010 - for alleged war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide in Sudan's Darfur region.

It was decided at a Cabinet meeting and later published in the Government Gazette that all delegates and staff attending the African Union Summit would enjoy immunity. It did not say heads of state.

The SA government might refer its concerns with the ICC to the International Court of Justice, Radebe said.

He said, however, that withdrawal from the ICC would be a last resort after all other options had been exhausted.

Source: News24

Find Love!

Men
Women