State opposes bail in ANC case

By Drum Digital
04 March 2013

The State opposed bail in the Klerksdorp Magistrate's Court on Monday for eight men accused of murdering ANC North West official Obuti Chika.

Prosecutor Riekie Krause said if the men were released, local residents would be shocked and outraged. Several of them had also failed to disclose previous criminal convictions or pending cases.

Chika, 33, was shot point-blank range in the driveway of his Klerksdorp home on December 14. He died in a local hospital.

North West local government MEC China Dodovu is among the eight accused.

"The State has a strong case against the applicant [Dodovu]," Krause said.

She said he had three passports, a diplomatic one and two personal ones.

Another accused, Sihlangu Sekhakhane, had previously confessed to the crime. He had also led police to his gun.

Krause said forensics had later matched the bullets which killed Chika to this gun.

The other six accused are community member Jeffrey Letuka, North West provincial ANC Youth League chairman Papiki Baboile, ward secretary Paul Molomonyane, councillor Itumeleng Molebatsi, municipal worker William Malefo, and taxi driver Kgotso Kali.

The court heard that Sekhakhane had claimed to have met Kali in a BMW X5 shortly before the crime.

Kali allegedly told him that, before he could attend the African National Congress's conference in Mangaung, in December, Chika had to be killed.

Krause confirmed that Baboile owned a BMW X5.

She told the court an unnamed witness had also confirmed to the State that some of the eight had previously discussed murdering Chika during a meeting.

Krause said bail was also being opposed because some of the applicants knew "witness X".

-Sapa

Find Love!

Men
Women