Trial date has been set for 6 men accused of DA councillor's murderer

By Drum Digital
24 January 2017

Six men who were arrested in connection with the murder DA councillor, Johannes Baatjies and his business associates Shupping Nose, appeared before the Postmasburg Magistrate’s Court.

Six men who were arrested in connection with the murder of DA councillor, Johannes Baatjies and his business associates Shupping Nose, appeared before the Postmasburg Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

The suspects are Zonisele Magawu, Charles Thompson Mpondomisa, Matthews Legodu, Richard Hasana, Paullis Mvuleni Mgcera, and Tsame Frak Baxane.

The matter was referred to Kimberley High Court for trial from 13 March 2017 and all six suspects remain in custody after their bail application was denied last year.

Baatjies was shot in the head and upper body on the eve of being sworn in as a Kgatelopele municipality councillor, following the August 3 local government elections in 2016.

His murder left the council hung, with three councillors in the ANC, and three in a coalition between two DA councillors, including Baatjies, and two Kgatelopele Community Forum councillors.

Andrew Louw, DA Northern Cape leader, tells DRUM that he will never falter from his belief that  the incident was politically motivated.

"I am convinced," he says. "Even though I respect the rule of law and I will let the law take its course, the fact that one of the men arrested was a councillor in the ANC proves this."

Louw says their election win proves that the community of Kgatelopele resented what happened to Baatjies

"They knew there would be service delivery in the area," he says. "They supported us because they believed in us and that's why we won."

Find Love!

Men
Women