Zuma sends condolences to Mauritius

By Drum Digital
03 April 2013

President Jacob Zuma has sent his condolences to Mauritius after a flood there claimed the lives of eleven people, the international relations department said on Wednesday.

"It is with sadness that President Jacob Zuma and the people of South Africa learnt of the devastation caused by torrential rains and subsequent heavy flooding that hit the Republic of Mauritius on 30 March," spokesman Clayson Monyela said in a statement.

Eleven people had been confirmed dead so far, and others were still unaccounted for.

Monyela said Mauritius was a country prone to natural disasters, which made it difficult to take preventative measures.

"It is hoped that the entire population of Mauritius will unify in responding to this disaster as they have done previously."

-by Sapa

Find Love!

Men
Women