Zuma still to make NPA decision

By Drum Digital
30 August 2013

President Jacob Zuma is still expected to make a decision on the appointment of a new national director of public prosecutions (NDPP), the presidency said on Friday.

"We are not able to give a time [for the announcement]. However, the president is aware of the time frame," spokesman Mac Maharaj said.

"It will be announced as soon as he arrives at his decision."

Zuma reportedly said in papers to the Constitutional Court in July that he would appoint the new NDPP by the end of August. "I have considered many candidates for the NDPP position, and unless something unexpected happens, I will make the appointment before the end of August," Zuma was quoted as saying in the papers. The Council for the Advancement of the SA Constitution previously approached the Constitutional Court seeking an order that Zuma make the appointment within 30 days. The National Prosecuting Authority has been without a permanent chief since 2011 after Menzi Simelane's appointment was declared invalid.

In the court papers, Zuma reportedly said the NPA was neither in a state of crisis, nor unstable.

Zuma reportedly said the appointment process was almost complete, and he denied that any "improper motive or agenda" was behind the delay.

-by Sapa

Find Love!

Men
Women