Freedom and democracy
We are about to celebrate 20 years of freedom and democracy.
Madiba and many more fought for this and gave many years of his life for us to celebrate today.
1. Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives.
2. A political or social unit that has such a government.
3. The common people, considered as the primary source of political power.
4. Majority rule.
5. The principles of social equality and respect for the individual within a community.
Besides some people might not agree, we do have democracy, maybe with point 5 that I have my doubts.
1. The condition of being free of restraints.
2. Liberty of the person from slavery, detention, or oppression.
3. Exemption from an unpleasant or onerous condition
4. The capacity to exercise choice; free will.
5. Ease or facility of movement.
6. Frankness or boldness; lack of modesty or reserve..
7. The right of enjoying all of the privileges of membership or citizenship.
8. A right or the power to engage in certain actions without control or interference
Let me share with you all what do I think about our freedom.
The freedom of speech only when suits the ruling party.
The freedom of urinate on the side of the roads, irrespective who is around you.
The freedom of building squatter camps and starting to look like majority of Africa.
The freedom of not giving the service that you pay for when you received your rates and taxes accounts.
The freedom of driving on the yellow lane and ignored the traffic light and signs.
The freedom of using "our" money to do home improvements and treat us like stupids.
The freedom of corruption.
The freedom of paying a traffic cop on the side of the road, instead of accepting the fine and pay as it should.
The freedom of driving trough pot holes and pay for damages caused in your car.
The freedom of keeping your children indoor, because we scared of let them play on the streets.
The freedom of making sure that all your doors are locked, because we are scared at our own home.
The freedom of protest for things that was promised in the last elections.
The freedom to strike and destroy the economy.
The freedom of going to jail due to corruption and play golf as a free man, providing that you get sick and have the proper "connections".
I could think of many more.
I don't think that this is the freedom that Madiba wanted for his people.
In the mean time, let;s enjoy another day off work, for the ones that are able to.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.