CAPE TOWN Morning clouds. Mild.

MIN15
MAX20
7 day
  • Thursday 16-20°c Sunny. Mild. Sunny. Mild.
    Friday 16-20°c Sunny. Mild. Sunny. Mild.
    Saturday 16-20°c High level clouds. Mild. High level clouds. Mild.
    Sunday 16-21°c More sun than clouds. Mild. More sun than clouds. Mild.
    Monday 15-18°c More sun than clouds. Mild. More sun than clouds. Mild.
    Tuesday 15-19°c Morning clouds. Mild. Morning clouds. Mild.
More News

ANC can't satisfy everyone: Gigaba

2014-05-11 14:55

Johannesburg - The ANC cannot satisfy everyone and will not be ungrateful winners in this year's elections, Public Enterprises Minister Malusi Gigaba said on Sunday.

"The ANC can't win a whopping 62% and then complain about the other 38%," he told reporters in Johannesburg.

"We would be ungrateful winners by questioning how we lost that 38%."

Gigaba, who was also the head of the African National Congress's elections campaign, said the ruling party was humbled.

"We are very grateful winners. We are humbled. We are not complaining at all. We will not seek to try and satisfy everyone."

The party believed the media was against it in the run-up to the national and provincial elections.

‘Media never loved us’

"You campaigned hard against the ANC and we beat you. We defeated you," Gigaba told journalists.

"We know you never loved us. And we don't have a problem with that. Our only concern was whether the people loved and trusted us."

ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe added that the negative campaigning did not work.

"Despite the negative campaigning from opposition parties, the media and many other forces... South African voters resoundingly communicated a vote of no confidence against those who seek to undermine and negate the significant strides our country has made in the last two decades of freedom."

Mantashe said some people were trying to find a scapegoat to blame for the party's loss of support and the loss of seats in Parliament.

"Yes we lost seats, but we have 62 plus [%]. This has no effect on government. Losing a seat for any political party is an issue. Some are trying to find a scapegoat for the loss of support."

The outcome of the general election showed the ANC's support was rock-solid, he said.

Genuine grievances

"Since 1994, the ANC has maintained the support of more than 62% of the electorate, proving that our base is rock solid."

Mantashe added that people in the so-called "hotspots" voted overwhelmingly for the ruling party.

"This has sent a clear message that supports our often stated position that the genuine grievances of our people should not be used opportunistically."

Mantashe explained that genuine concerns did not include demands that government officials be removed from their jobs. He said when communities protested to demand the removal of mayors or councillors, it did not mean it was a service delivery protest.

He said the ANC had 20 years of experience and would redouble its efforts in the next administration to improve service delivery.

"Having the experience will help us perform better. We have no excuse, no reason not to improve," Mantashe said.

Gigaba said the party would analyse voting patterns in the election.

"We must look at the voting patterns of the white community, the black middle-class... and then we can do a proper analysis."

Explore previous National and Provincial election results with our interactive Results Maps by clicking here.
- SAPA
Read more on: anc  |  malusi gigaba  |  gwede mantashe  |  elections 2014  |  politics  |  media

More In This Category
Sanity must prevail at ConCourt over elections - Van Rooyen

It is hoped that “sanity will prevail” in the Constitutional Court next week, as postponing the elections is not an option, Co-operative Governance Minister Des van Rooyen says.

EFF must produce evidence of IEC vote rigging - dept

The EFF has still not produced evidence to back up its renewed claims that the IEC "stole" its votes during the 2014 elections, the Co-operative Governance Department says.

Maimane locked in by protesters in KZN

Protesters have managed to lock DA leader Mmusi Maimane into a Wentworth shelter which he was visiting to inspect living conditions there.

EFF pats itself on the back after painting Soweto red

The EFF has patted itself on the back for launching a successful 2016 local government elections. Spokesperson Mbuyiseni Ndlozi praised the party and thanked its members and supporters following the launch which took place at the Orlando Stadium in Soweto.

Comments
Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
88 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.
News24 |   OLX  |  Property24  |  Careers24  |  Spree  |