Pretoria - There was no reason to believe there was an increase in protest action during the national and provincial elections, chief electoral officer Mosotho Moepya said on Wednesday.
"Our information does not indicate a number of increasing incidents [protests] - it must be said, this is one country where every election as we have indicated is very different from another," he told reporters at the Electoral Commission of SA (IEC) results centre in Pretoria.
"In this election in particular the number of incidents... was so minimal."
"Of course we've had lots of issues raised but those issues we have had to deal with, as we have dealt with them in the past, are significantly lower."
The IEC said there were significantly fewer incidents of protest action affecting the voting process early in the day, although there were isolated incidents that affected the opening of stations.
Among the areas in which isolated instances of protest action affected the opening of voting stations were: Maruleng in Limpopo, Gugulethu in Springs, Botshabelo in the Free State, eNgcobo in the Eastern Cape, and Barcelona in Khayelitsha.
There had been reports of protests in some of these areas such as Bekkersdal, west of Johannesburg, which had been the scene of service delivery protests the past few months, and on Tuesday night two IEC tents were set on fire.
Gugulethu was the scene of public violence on Monday night after protesters torched a Transnet building. A total of 46 people have been arrested for public violence after residents blocked streets with burning tyres and rocks.
* How long were you in the queue? Report the time by clicking here
All voting stations should be open from 07:00 and close at 21:00.Download the app by visiting one of these app stores.
Explore previous National and Provincial election results