Johannesburg - The South Gauteng High Court has not granted
a protection order for the ANC against an alleged threat by the DA who are
marching in Johannesburg’s CBD on Wednesday.
The ANC filed the urgent application because it said it had
a “duty to protect our headquarters, protect our member, and protect our
"We are not saying they should not march, but if they
pose a threat to our headquarters, what do we do?" ANC spokesperson
Jackson Mthembu said earlier on Wednesday morning.
He said this was necessary as the Democratic Alliance had
secured the services of a security firm "armed to the teeth" with
batons, helmets, and shields.
Mthembu said the ANC was confident of winning the
Cameron Arendse, spokesperson for DA leader Helen Zille,
said the party would have representatives at the court, and would fight for
their democratic right to march.
In a statement on Tuesday, Arendse said the DA had
repeatedly said it would hold a peaceful march in downtown Johannesburg for
"Any security precautions we are taking are defensive,
"These precautions are based on a responsible
assessment of the risk to our own members and activists," he said.
"We are all too mindful of the inability of the SA
Police Service and the Johannesburg metro police department to protect our
He said the application by the ruling party was a last ditch
attempt to stop the march, as the ANC was afraid that the DA would show how the
ruling party had failed unemployed South Africans.
- Sapa and News24