Cape Town - After a tumultuous few months - and without a leader - the ANC in the Western Cape is gearing up to win the province back from the DA by contesting every ward in the local government elections.
But it will do so without its provincial leader Marius Fransman who agreed to step aside while the it waits to hear from the national office on the sexual assault allegations levelled against him by Louisa Wynand.
Wynand broke her silence last week to say that the had police informed her that they would not be pressing charges against Fransman.
- Are you registered to vote? For registration details, live election results and more, download our Elections App for Android or iOS now!
However, ANC Western Cape spokesperson Yonela Diko said the provincial ANC was still waiting for word on the integrity committee's recommendations.
Until then, Fransman's position remained the same, although he was still allowed to campaign.
In the meantime, ANC deputy president Cyril Ramaphosa would address the launch of the party's provincial manifesto at Site C, Khayelitsha on Sunday.
ANC Western Cape head of elections Lulama Mvimbi said members would fan out with a programme of door-to-door visits, worker forums, mini-rallies and "ANC Fridays", with a focus on service delivery.
The ANC lost control of the province to the DA in the 2011 local government elections, and has been highlighting disparities between rich and poor in a bid to win back the votes.
But this time it will also have to contend with the Economic Freedom Fighters, which has been beating the campaign trail in the province by visiting some of the most neglected suburbs.
Committed to the Electoral Code of Conduct
The ANC has promised to eradicate the bucket system, to tackle gangsterism, crime and drugs, and to help young people with training and opportunities.
On Monday, ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe, who chaired the party's National List Committee, urged members to think of nothing other than winning the elections.
In a briefing after the party's National List Committee and National Executive Committee met last weekend, Mantashe explained that, according to its candidate lists:
- A minimum of 50% of all candidates must be women;
- A minimum of 20% of all candidates must be youth (35 years and below);
- A minimum of 2% of all candidates must be people with a disability;
- A minimum of 60% of serving councilors must be retained in the candidate lists to ensure continuity.
Tweaks of no more than 15% of the list would be allowed to ensure adherance to this.
He said the party remained committed to the Electoral Code of Conduct and condemned inflammatory language and political intolerance.
"ANC members and supporters are expected to exercise maximum restraint, even in the face of provocation," said Mantashe.
The deadline for submission of candidates to the Electoral Commission is Thursday at 17:00.