Cape Town – An ANC councillor candidate's home in KwaNobuhle, Uitenhage, in the Eastern Cape, was petrol bombed on Tuesday, police said.
Police spokesperson Captain Gerda Swart said a charge of arson was being investigated after two petrol bombs were thrown at the house.
One went through a bedroom window and set curtains alight, while the second one hit a wall outside the home.
No one was injured and no arrests had been made yet, Swart said.
ANC Regional Task Team co-ordinator Beza Ntshona said the candidate woke up to a fire in one of the back rooms of the house. The councillor's name has not been released yet.
No further details were available at this time, he said.
Marches and protests
The candidate lists process has led to violent protests and attacks around the country.
Last week, a petrol bomb was thrown at ANC Western Cape ward councillor Amos Nkomeni's house, destroying a washing machine in the yard.
Disgruntled members have also continuously marched to the province's Sahara House to protest the list process.
In Tshwane, residents have taken to the streets following the ANC's nomination of Thoko Didiza as a mayoral candidate on Monday.
Protesters burned buses and blocked roads on Monday and Tuesday, calling for Mayor Kgosientso Ramokgopa to stay on.
- Find everything you need to know about the 2016 Local Government Elections at our News24 Elections site, including the latest news and detailed, interactive maps for how South Africa has voted over the past 3 elections, or download the app for iOS and Android.