Pretoria - The ANC Provincial Executive Committee (PEC) has created false hope for disgruntled Nelson Mandela Bay branches that are dissatisfied with candidate lists, party Secretary General Gwede Mantashe said on Saturday night.
"Registration of candidates was closed on June 2, at 5pm. Anybody who goes about making false promises that we will correct this and that, you are creating false hope," Mantashe told journalists.
Mantashe said provincial leadership should confront the situation.
"You must confront the situation and say: 'We think there is a mess here, a mistake here, a candidate was changed here'. You better confront the situation rather than create false expectation that there will be a correction of candidates," he said.
Mantashe said that even if a candidate died, they would contest the ward with the candidate's name.
"The late so-and-so will contest that ward. If we win that ward we will have a bi-election. That's how serious that thing is of the IEC policy and process. We must not create false hope. Beyond that point we can't change this," he said.
Mantashe's comments came after ANC members in Nelson Mandela Bay raced to King William's Town last week to protest against the selection of candidates. eNCA reported that representatives from 17 ANC branches had said the lists were tampered with.
The ANC retained Mayor Danny Jordaan as its mayoral candidate in Nelson Mandela Bay. It is said to be the most contested metro.