ANC Chief Whip Jackson Mthembu speaks to the media at Luthuli House. (News24)
Bloemfontein – The Free State African National Congress has rejected an Economic Freedom Fighter member’s claims that a ruling party member told him he should join the party if he wanted a job after the August 3 local government elections.
“People should not use the ANC to get votes. We are busy preparing for the elections and doing door-to-door campaigns, so we have no time to threaten people to join the ANC," spokesperson Thabo Meeko said on Thursday.
Tefo Hlanyane, from Thabong, Welkom, told News24 last week that on June 14 he received a phone call late one night. The caller identified herself as an ANC official who saw his name on a door-to-door campaign list.
The 28-year-old said the caller guaranteed him a job in the ANC Youth League if he joined the party. Hlanyane had been an EFF member since 2014.
Meeko said Hlanyane was making serious allegations.
"We will never force anyone to join us. Although our people have expressed dissatisfaction with the party lately, they are still with the ANC. They might be disappointed with councillors, but we will ensure stability," he said.
- Find everything you need to know about the 2016 Local Government Elections at our News24 Elections site, including the latest news and detailed, interactive maps for how South Africa has voted over the past 3 elections, or download the app for iOS and Android.