Durban – The Electoral Commission of SA (IEC) in KwaZulu-Natal is concerned about how residents will react when the official list of candidates contesting the elections is released next week.
"Some people will be worried on the 27th," IEC provincial electoral officer Mawethu Mosery said on Tuesday.
He was speaking at a discussion on the prospects for peaceful elections in KwaZulu-Natal, held at the Diakonia Council of Churches.
"The reaction we have seen so far in many of our communities on issues of candidates is concerning. Some of the information they are receiving is incorrect because they have not seen the final list of the candidates."
The IEC would release the list on Monday.
It began printing ballot papers last week, but ward ballots will only be printed starting from next week, once ward candidates have been finalised.
Drawing names out of a hat
Mosery said there were three types of ballot papers: for wards, local municipalities, and district municipalities.
People voting within the eThekwini metro would receive two ballot papers and those voting in districts outside the metro would get three.
In the case of eThekwini, half of the seats were for ward councillors, and the other half for proportional representatives. It was the same for local municipalities, he said.
Mosery said in the previous two general elections there had been wards where there were no winners. The IEC then decided the winner by drawing a name out of a hat. He hoped it would not come to this in this year's elections.
The IEC would have 54 000 staff working at voting stations in the province on August 3, he said.
Find everything you need to know about the 2016 Local Government Elections at our News24 Elections site,
including the latest news and detailed, interactive maps for how South
Africa has voted over the past 3 elections, or download the app for iOS and Android.