Study: Human-caused warming burns more Western forests

2016-10-11 21:22
A City of Folsom fire-fighter moves through burned trees and ash not far from the origin of the Sand Fire in Amador County. (Randy Pench, AP)

A City of Folsom fire-fighter moves through burned trees and ash not far from the origin of the Sand Fire in Amador County. (Randy Pench, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Boise - A new study of Western forest fires confirms what is already apparent - wildfire seasons are getting longer and more destructive.

But researchers with the University of Idaho and Columbia University also say humans are to blame.

The study made public Monday says human-caused global warming contributed an additional 41 400km² of burned forests from 1984 to 2015.

Researchers say the 41 400km² represent half of the forest areas that burned over the last three decades.

"We're no longer waiting for human-caused climate change to leave its fingerprint on wildfire across the western US," John Abatzoglou, the study's lead author and an associate professor of geography at the University of Idaho, said in a statement. "It's already here."

The authors of the study, published online in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, say it's the first to try to quantify how much human-caused climate change has increased wildfires in Western forests. Some other factors that had to be considered as contributing to the increase, the report said, included a legacy of fire suppression in the West, natural climate variability, and human settlement.

The study found that longer and hotter dry spells are causing Western forests to dry out and become more susceptible to wildfires.

Specifically, researchers said, spring and summer temperatures have warmed by 2- to 2.5° since 1950.

Researchers said that warming accounts for 55% of what they call "fuel aridity" from 1979 to 2015. The study attributed the other 45% to natural climate variations.

The study found that since 2000 there's been a 75% increase in forested lands with elevated aridity and nine more days each year with dry forests especially susceptible to wildfires.

"Anthropogenic climate change has emerged as a driver of increased forest fire activity," the report says.

Park Williams of Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, and a co-author of the study, said the report provides a better understanding of the effects human-caused global warming has on Western forests.

"This knowledge will allow us to make more educated fire and land management decisions," he said.

The study concluded that the trend of increased forest aridity resulting in large wildfires is likely to continue for decades while there are enough trees to fuel the flames.

Read more on:    us  |  weather  |  climate change  |  wildfires

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.