Follow us on:

2 siblings die after eating chips and drinking water from container

By Faeza
10 November 2016

North West Premier Supra Mahumapelo on Wednesday said he was saddened by the deaths of two siblings who fell sick after eating potato chips and drinking tap water from a 25-litre container.

The siblings, two boys aged 10 and 12 from Makgobistad, died on Tuesday afternoon.

It was not immediately clear what had caused their deaths.

Mahumapelo said the two boys were pupils at Makgobi Primary School.

School teacher Cathrine Marumo said the school was told they fell sick after eating potato chips and drinking tap water from a 25-litre container at home in the late afternoon.

They later died at a local clinic.

A total of three children from the same family were affected.

The third child, a 15-year-old, was recovering at the Bophelong Hospital in Mahikeng.

Mahumapelo said: "We send our heartfelt condolences to the family affected by this tragedy. We will do whatever we can do from our side to provide support to the family during this difficult time."

School principal Lesedi Modise said a memorial service had been planned for Thursday at the Makgobistad Community Hall at 11:30.

Source: News24