Follow us on:

Girl, 3, dies in Durban shack fire

By Faeza
06 July 2017

 A 3-year-old girl was burnt beyond recognition when the shack she was sleeping in caught alight in Parkgate, Verulam, north of Durban, on Thursday morning.

Reaction Unit South Africa (RUSA) spokesperson Prem Balram said they were alerted to the incident by residents at approximately 06:25.

"Upon arrival, we found a shack, which was built next to a low cost house, completely burnt out. The charred body of the child was found among the debris," Balram said.

It was established that the girl was asleep in the shack when her aunt decided to go into the main building to have a bath, he said.

"Members of the public who were walking past the home noticed the shack engulfed in flames and attempted to extinguish the blaze with buckets of water."

It could not be established if the fire was caused by a burning candle or a faulty electrical connection supplied from the main building.

On Monday night, a boy, 5, and a girl, 7, died in a house fire in the Congo area of Inanda, north of Durban, while their mother had gone to meet her boyfriend.

Police said one child, whose age was unknown, also sustained injuries during the fire and was taken to hospital for medical attention.

Source:  News24