Follow us on:

Lwandle residents get hot meals

By admin
04 June 2014

Around 800 people evicted from Lwandle in Cape Town received hot meals as a cold front hit the city on Wednesday morning.

"There are around 800 people but we are catering hot meals, blankets, and mattresses for 1000 people," said disaster risk management centre spokesperson Wilfred Solomons-Johannes.

Solomons-Johannes said the residents were displaced after 223 shacks were demolished earlier in the week.

Their eviction began on Monday and continued into Tuesday.

The SA National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral), the owner of the land, was granted an eviction order by the Western Cape High Court earlier this year.

"Minister [Dipuo] Peters undertook to issue a directive to Sanral to withdraw the court order while short- and long-term solutions are sought to resolve the challenges at hand," spokesperson Tiyani Ponto-Rikhotso said in a statement.

"To this effect, the affected families would be allowed to return to the land they were evicted from pending discussions regarding long-term solutions to their challenges."

He said the human settlements department and the transport department committed to engage with the provincial government and the City of Cape Town to find solutions for the people evicted.

"Minister Peters and minister [Lindiwe] Sisulu emphasised the need for institutions of government to take responsibility for the welfare of communities they serve and desist from apportioning blame on others."

Human Settlements Minister Lindiwe Sisulu said, while the people would be allowed to settle temporarily, government did not encourage illegal occupation of land.

- SAPA