Follow us on:

Oscar Pistorius to be out on parole

By Faeza
10 June 2015

The parole of convicted Paralympian Oscar Pistorius was confirmed by the correctional services department on Monday.

"The acting national commissioner of correctional services Mr Zach Modise has confirmed that the Correctional Supervision and Parole Board (CSPB) of Kgosi Mampuru II Correctional Centre, sat on June 5 [Friday] 2015 and approved the placement of Oscar Pistorius under correctional supervision with effect from August 21 2015," the department said in a statement.

"The CSPB has approved that Pistorius be placed under correctional supervision, as a probationer, in line with Section 276 (1) (i) of the Criminal Procedure Act, read together with the Correctional Services Act, Act 111 of 1998, as amended that says an offender may serve only one sixth of his/her sentence in custody, and continue to serve the remaining period of the sentence under correctional supervision."

On September 12 last year, Pistorius was acquitted of murder, but convicted of culpable homicide for shooting dead his model and law-graduate girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, in the early hours of February 14 2013.

He fired four shots through the locked door of the toilet in his Pretoria home on Valentine's Day, apparently thinking she was an intruder.

On October 21, Pistorius was sentenced to five years in prison for killing Steenkamp, and for three years - suspended for five - for discharging a firearm in a restaurant.

The department said that in line with the provisions of both the Criminal Procedure and Correctional Services Acts, Steenkamp's family were invited and participated in the deliberations of the CSPB.

"The implementation of the sentence as directed by court, as well as the provisions of Correctional Services Act (Act 111 of 1998), is an independent and separate process from any pending appeals," the department said.

Read more on http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Pistorius-parole-confirmed-athlete-out-in-August-20150608