Follow us on:

Pinetown crash case postponed due to 'new facts'

By admin
28 March 2014

The case against a Swazi national whose lorry ploughed through four minibus taxis, killing 24 people, was postponed in the Pinetown Magistrate's Court on Friday.

Sanele Goodness May's case was postponed to 2 April to allow his lawyer Lindokuhle Mdletshe to make representations to the deputy director of public prosecutions as well as to allow the prosecution to serve the indictment.

It was not revealed in court what these representations were.

It had been expected that May would apply for bail, but Mdletshe told the court that new facts were being investigated and the defence was not yet ready to bring a fresh application.

At May's last appearance in February, Mdletshe said he had been informed that murder charges against his client would be dropped and replaced with 24 culpable homicide charges.

Magistrate Gwendolyn Robinson denied May, a Swazi national, bail last year, ruling he was a flight risk.

Robinson said he was in the country illegally and if he was granted bail the court would be required to legalise his residency status while he was awaiting trial. The court did not have such authority.

On the evening of 5 September 2013, at the height of rush hour traffic, May's truck smashed into four minibus taxis and two cars at an intersection at the bottom of Fields Hill in Pinetown.

Twenty two people were killed at the scene. Two died later in hospital.

- SAPA