Follow us on:

Torching of councillor's house condemned

By admin
17 August 2013

Cope condemned the burning of an East Rand municipal ward councillor's house following a housing scam in Duduza.

The use of violence to express the genuine concerns of law-abiding citizens could not be tolerated, Congress of the People MPL Ndzipho Kalipa said in a statement.

"The MEC must take precautionary measures to avoid actions that tend to provoke the community into taking matters into their own hands," she said.

Ward 84 Councillor Silas Letsema's house was set alight with his two young children inside on Thursday.

Nobody was hurt.

Gauteng Human Settlements MEC Ntombi Mekgwe said the house was one of two that were torched, allegedly by local residents whose illegally-built shacks were demolished in Tsakane Extension 17 on Thursday.

Mekgwe said the shacks were built on government-owned land used for one of two RDP housing projects in the area.

Those living on the land had paid R70 to individuals who had allegedly falsely promised them RDP houses. In venting their anger, people targeted Letsema.

Police spokesperson Johannes Ramaphora said a case of arson had been opened.

No arrests had been made and police were investigating.

new24.com 

SAPA