Follow us on:

Two pupils die, 32 sick after taking drug at party

By Faeza
23 March 2016

drugs-908533_960_720

Two KwaMashu school pupils died and 32 were hospitalised after ingesting an unknown drug during a party at the weekend, KwaZulu-Natal’s social development department said on Wednesday.

A team of social workers had been sent to help the affected families and to visit those in hospital, MEC Weziwe Thusi said.

No further details were immediately available.

“We want to understand what happened to ensure that we do everything in our power to avoid a repeat. We also want to assist the families in dealing with this tragedy,” Thusi said.

She called on parents to monitor their children closely and look out for strange behaviour.

Drug-induced fun would lead to tragedy.

She said she was shocked by what had happened, given the constant warnings about the dangers of drug abuse and substance abuse awareness programmes at local schools.

She said the local drug action committee in KwaMashu was functional and would hold its monthly meeting on Wednesday.

Source: News24