Since there is so much drama surrounding our country, I decided to list a few perks of living in South Africa.
1. No major natural disasters (well major ones, caused by mother nature. Jacob Zuma was human error) like earth quakes, tornados and tsunami’s.
2. When we claim that Nelson Mandela was our first black president, at least it’s the truth. Please don’t jump the racist gun. I have no problem with barack Obama, but when one parent is white, and the other black then you are Coloured. And where’s the shame in that? He should be proud of it. Calling Barack Obama black, is sort of like calling Caster Semenya a red blooded woman . (Sorry Caster)
3. Our climate. Nice and sunny, but not scorching with the occasional blessing of snow here and there. No temperatures so far below freezing, that hell would freeze over… If there was one.
4. Where else in the world can you get a newspaper, sunglasses, a car cellphone charger, your car windows washed, flowers and all sorts of toys AT ONE ROBOT?
5. Biltong, droewors, vetkoek and koeksisters. Just a few of our local favourites.
6. No Miley Cirus and no Justin Bieber (okay, so maybe people like Die Antwoord and Jack Parrow make up for that).
7. You can see a one of the big five without watching T.V.
8. Sangoma’s – Hey where else can you have an abortion, make your penis larger, improve your sex life, become rich and successful, place a curse on your enemy, communicate with your ancestors, chase the tokoloshe away and all of that under one roof!
9. Our diversity. We have 11 official languages!! How great is that?
10. Nearly half of our country can put this on your resume : More qualified than our own President. I mean, it doesn’t take much, you only need Grade 10. (Okay, so maybe it’s not a good thing…)
If you were considering immigration, read my list. Maybe it will be a little bit of motivation. Please just don’t list the negatives, for I fear that it would be a much, much longer list.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.