I have always loved running; I would run to celebrate my first kiss, run to celebrate good test results and run when I felt my parents were being unreasonable. So running was an all occasion’s cure in my life. But it was only later on in life when my sister introduced me to the real world of running, the world of early rise on Saturday mornings, registrations for race, absolute oneness with self; and I am totally in love with this world that lately all I fantasize about is Loskop and Knysna marathons. I would like to invite everyone to explore this beautiful hobby and here are 10 reasons why:
1. It is a very healthy habit and it will force you to review other unnecessary habits like smoking and alcohol, I never liked smoking anyway but let me tell you, cutting ties with wine and whiskey because they affect my training is a battlefield of mind, heart and taste buds
2. Running is so good for speeding up metabolism, though sometimes its timing can be unfortunate like having a runny tummy during a 21km race at 8km mark. Though a blessing of good metabolism can sometimes be a burden, runners will all agree on one thing, they cannot spell constipation
3. Running is relatively not an expensive sport if you compare it with the likes of golf, unlike golf, with running you can just start with good running shoes and join a running club. Later on you can invest in a pair of compression tights. But with golf you will also need a big car, you can’t play golf while driving a Yaris, otherwise you will always need to rent a trailer to put your clubs when you have to go play
4. Running will teach you important life skills like planning, preparing and executing, it will teach you the importance of setting goals. When one wants to move from running 5km to running 21km, there is a lot of important life skills that will be put into place to achieve that goal
5. Running encourages meditation, it will teach one to speak to the mind instead of the mind speaking to you. When the mind tells you that you are tired, you will soon find ways of ignoring it or telling it that you are on top of the game, that’s how runners finish the race
6. If you pair running with good eating habits, you will soon feel good about yourself, you will find yourself attractive and love yourself
7. Running is liberating, unlike in Johannesburg town where taxi drivers have banned wearing short clothes, running allows everyone to just be, runners are focused, so whether you wear your tights, shorts or skirts, no one will disrespect you within the running community and no one will even care nor notice because everyone is wearing the same anyway
8. If you have a soft spot for beautiful legs like myself, oh runners will feast your heart to its content, sometimes I have to contain myself from saying to my fellow runners , I hope you thank God for your legs every morning
9. Going to road races on Saturdays or Sundays is like going to Miss World Pageant without having to buy an expensive ticket and tux, the abundance of beautiful women at these races just leaves one singing, How great is our God
10. Running is good for total vitality, it reduces stress, releases tension and clears the mind
So, don’t just take my word for it, give a little bit of your time to it.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.